A person of any age can be allergic to milk; however, this condition is more common in infants. This is the most common allergy in children. If the toddler is not tolerant to the proteins in milk, he can suffer from this allergy. It occurs minutes or hours after consuming milk. The symptoms may vary from mild to severe. It is not a serious disorder, but it can surely cause discomfort to the baby. In most cases, the allergy is due to cold milk. Also, feeding the baby with too much of milk at one time can develop different allergies. Hence, make sure to you feed the baby in small amounts, so that it will be easy for him to digest.
In some children, the allergies show up a few minutes after the consumption, while in some, it takes a few days. This depends on the immunity and the digestive system of the baby. The allergy symptoms may vary from child to child, and it also depends on the proteins and various other compounds present in the milk.
- The most commonly observed symptoms are diarrhea, bloating, and vomiting.
- The infants also tend to suffer from stomachaches.
- Symptoms like hives and wheezing may be observed immediately after the consumption of the milk.
- The baby might also suffer from loose stools, and the stools might also contain blood in severe cases.
- Watery eyes and runny nose are also a few commonly observed allergy symptoms.
- Also, some children may develop abdominal cramps.
- In very serious cases, the baby might suffer from anaphylaxis as a result of milk allergy. This narrows the airways and makes breathing difficult.
- Rashes around the mouth may also develop in some cases.
As soon as the allergy symptoms develop, discontinue feeding him the milk. Also, make sure that you do not feed the baby with other food products which contain milk. You can opt for other substitutes like soy milk, oat milk, rice milk, almond milk, etc., or you can consult the pediatrician for advice.
According to studies, almost 3% of toddlers suffer from this type of allergy. So, if you observe the aforementioned symptoms in your child after the consumption of milk immediately take him to a pediatrician. While introducing cow’s milk to the toddler, feed him in small amounts. If no severe symptoms develop then you can continue feeding him with it. However, if the symptoms develop, then consult a pediatrician and find a suitable substitute for the milk.